I bought a Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 2.0i 5-Speed over something else because of one thing: value and functionality. It has the same ground clearance of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a lesser sticker price and better fuel economy. Although, it's not a full size SUV like the Jeep, it has about the same off road capabilities and get you to a cabin in the woods if you so choose. Subaru has a wide array of accessories for the XV like it does for its whole lineup. It is based on the Subaru Impreza sport chassis and shares the same 2.0 Boxer engine, but has a suspension that is based off of the new Forester. Now there are other vehicles that the XV competes with such as the Suzuki SX-4 and the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. The Suzuki is smaller and with a base MSRP of $16,999 may cost about $4000 less than the XV, but according to someone I know who owned one, until it hydroplaned and got totaled was that it is very light. With a MSRP of $21,995, the XV's price is about mid range when comparing it to a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport CVT ES ($22,070) and a Suzuki SX4. The Outlander sport come with AWD standard and would have to go up a package in order to get it as an option. The Mitsubishi only comes in white or gray and Like the Crosstrek, the CR-V comes in an assortment of colors. With that being said the XV is a versatile crossover at a mid-range price and can take you whereever you would like and with confidence.
- Has the ride height of the Grand Cherokee, with out the sticker price.
- With up to 33 MPG Highway and 25 when cruising the city, The XV has the best fuel economy in its class.
- The Crosstrek, like all Subaru vehicles (except BR-Z) come standard with all wheel drive.
- It has some of the best safety features out there.
- The Crosstrek is very popular, so finding the color you want with the options you would like will take sometime.
- The CVT is somewhat whiny
- It's not the quietest cabin and could use a little more insulation.
Whether you are traveling though the backwoods or your local shopping center, you will be at home with the 2013+ Subaru Crosstrek.